6.19.2013

The Reality of "So You Say You Want to Adopt"

If you have not read yesterday's post, you can do so here.

Three years ago a little bambina entered our lives.


I thought it was about rescuing her. I thought it was about adopting for me.

I was wrong.

It was about a grandmother and grandfather entering my life, dancing the dance of grace and healing together and adopting each other.

We call one another family. There is no legal document to prove it, but some things run deeper.

That bambina left to live with a far off relative. But "adoption" is forever, and our relationship with her family stayed, and they with us. 

And Bambina's siblings began entering our life, and making ruckus on our church pews.


 Skylar (9)



Haley's (8) first time ever in a big pool!

And so when their young grandfather - their father in truth - collapsed and died in front of their eyes yesterday, Grandmother called her daughter, and then she called us, and said, Come. I want you here.

Adoption is more than paperwork and chasing timelines. Whether the child is one we bring home forever,  or the family we commit to doing life with, adoption runs deep, until our blood mingles.

I'm so grateful God enlarged my definition of adoption.

There are numerous expenses with Haley and Skylar's family tragedy. If you would like to make a donation to help with funeral and immediate family needs, please send a check to:

Altadena Valley Presbyterian Church
4660 Caldwell Mill Road
Birmingham, AL 35243
Memo Line: Haley and Skylar

Looking unto Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment