8.17.2012

Robertson Reflections

I'm alone today. Can you believe it?

I'm watching a Lisa Lang special on child sex trafficking - in the United States, and I'm crying.

I'm crying because one 14-year-old girl was orphaned when her mother died of cancer. She bought into what she thought was her only way of survival.

And then, a family heard of how they could be the hands and feet of Jesus at their church and care for children in crisis. They went through the GPS classes in Washington D.C. and hoped for a young infant who would be in a need of adoption.

Instead, they said yes to the one the world looks at as dirty, damaged, and finished. They committed to the one who would run, return to that lifestyle, and fight them every step of the way. They shared with Lisa Lang how they wondered what they had done, but they knew they were called to this moment, this child, this purpose. They did this while man after man took advantage of this same child - the professional, the established, the father, the husband, the one searching.

I think of a man named Hosea. I think of his wife Gomer.

I think of his God who told Hosea to take a wife. I wonder what innocent vision Hosea had in his mind when he dreamed of a lifelong partner. Instead, God said Gomer, the whore, the prostitute, the one who returned to the source of her death, even though life awaited her.

But Hosea took her in. He took her to his bed. He committed and pursued. He loved the damaged.

I grew up with the Christian Broadcasting Network on 24/7 in the background of my home, and I respect many of their initiatives and kingdom desires. I'm grateful for them.

But, Pat Robertson's most recent comments regarding adoption, once again entered the danger zone. I say "once again" because CBN has been required to edit his comments regarding this issue a number of times before.

~ (Now, I also believe it was quite wrong for the partnering anchor to refer to men who do not feel called to date mothers with adopted children as "dogs.") ~

I do respect his caution. There is an adoption and orphan care movement across the Christian body. Praise God! However, adoption or foster care out of emotion, rather than commitment is a deathly motivation. We've cared for the results in our home.

When you marry, you say for better or for worse. You marry the past and the present, and all the things that individual has been.

Adoption is no different. When you say yes to that child, you are adopting their past of trauma as well as their future with you, and you have no idea how their past will one day impact their future. It is dark at times. I know. It doesn't matter their age or their race or where they are from. Orphan care is born out of brokenness, so the journey is broken. And every journey the Father calls you to is cast in the reality that His goal is to make you look like His Son, and I'm pretty sure none of us completely look like His son, so these journeys we're on are not comfortable.

I appreciate that one of Robertson's underlying motivations seems to be caution against emotionally-motivated action because feelings will not carry you when you are being slapped and kicked, and hearing that you are hated.

But, his extreme language that we are not called to take these children in because they are "damaged" is out of line, and honestly, I believe, unbiblical. We are not all called to take orphans into our homes, though I believe many more of us are than do, yet we are all called to orphan care and to hold up the arms of those who are directly loving them.

I do believe that when the option is able, the restoration and redemption of a biological family together is the most beautiful fulfillment of this brokenness, but that is not a reality all the time, across the world or our nation.

We fear what we do not know and what we do not understand. In our suburb homes of tidiness and order, we do not understand the drugs, the neglect, the trafficking, the cycle, so our thoughts scream WARNING. We often look on the ones doing it and the children involved with pitiful wonder, rather than Christ-like love.

I've reached the end of the show. The young girl taken in is graduating from high school. She stands and thanks her foster parents, who took in a stranger who fought them and ran from them. She thanks them for teaching her of One who loves her eternally and offered her life, when she tried to keep returning to death.

It may not be for every Christian to care for an orphan in their home, but I will tell you that because of the ones in my home, I know our Savior in such deep ways that I never would have before. It is hard, and there are such dark days. They are damaged, but so am I. The difference is I know the key to redeeming the brokenness, as you also do.

Let's not limit the work of the Kingdom in fellow believers' lives, simply because we do not believe we are called to it. Let's cheer and celebrate the fact that God uses messy, dirty people like me and you even when He has no need for us. Let's praise Him that He invites us in and makes us His temple for the world to see.

Let's let God out of our box.

4 comments:

  1. You so beautifully express your heart Catie, so much better than I can. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heart inspires me! Thank you for allowing Jesus to shape me through our friendship.

      Delete
  2. (Jeffrey here, not Anna, which most of you would probably be able to tell anyway) Yeah, yeah, all well and good, but all this pales in comparison to standing in line to get a chicken sandwich. I mean, think of all the waffle fries you could have bought with all the money you spend on these orphans. But maybe you can redeem this mistake if you enlist them in registering Republican voters and attending Glen Beck rallies. Also, aren't my hard-earned tax dollars going to support these kids? Why should I have to literally pay for the bad decisions of parents who can't do a good job raising their own children, like I do? Your problem is that you are focusing on eternal things instead of tax rates and politics. I mean, if Romney loses, and people continue to say bad things about Truett Cathy, and you did nothing about either one, how will you be able to look those foster kids in the eyes and tell them that you didn't have time for these things because you were doing one-hundred loads of laundry each week, holding them when they cry, praying for them, and generally providing a loving, stable household where they hear and see the Gospel every day? Sheesh, Catie, I hate to say this, but get your priorities in order.

    I do hope the sarcasm here comes through loud and clear. Yours is the kind of public Christianity that we need to be standing up for and supporting, the kind that draws people to the Gospel because of the clear display of grace and mercy.

    Also, I understand if you need to ban me from posting at your blog anymore due to my long, opinionated posts and sarcasm. Just email Anna and tell her to tell me to stop and I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey, if I ban you, I will miss an essential part of life. I love that you are married to my sweet Anna. Thank you for making me smile today :) Thank you, and thank you for allowing your wife to be someone who inspires me to seek Jesus each day.

      Delete