Passion Week – Easter Sunday
Read John 20:1-18
After Jesus died, his friends took His body, wrapped it, and placed it in a tomb. Then they rolled a big stone in front of the tomb to keep His body safe.
Early on Sunday morning Mary Magdalene, Peter, and some of Jesus’ friends went back to the tomb. They went because they loved Jesus, and they were sad He was dead. But when they reached the tomb, the giant stone had been moved. Jesus was not there! Suddenly, they understood all the things Jesus had said to them. They remembered that Jesus had to die, but that He would rise again. They remembered Jesus said He would conquer death once and for all. Satan had wanted death to harm us forever. He wanted us to be afraid of it. But when God raised Jesus from the dead, death became the beautiful way His children meet Him face to face.
Mary Magdalene stood crying. When she looked in the tomb there were two angels where Jesus’ body had been. Someone called her by name. It was Jesus. Mary Magdalene fell at His feet and worshipped Him as her king. Then she ran to tell the disciples that God had made Jesus alive again! He had conquered death!
· Has someone close to you ever died? How did you feel?
· How do you think Mary felt when Jesus called her by name?
· How does it make you feel to know we no longer have to fear death because Jesus has conquered it?
· Thank God that He made Jesus alive again! Thank Him for the life we have because of Jesus.
- Praise Him by singing the "Doxology."
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.