Passion Week – Saturday
The Death and Burial
Read Matthew 27:50-66
As Jesus Christ struggled to breathe in pain, darkness fell. When He was nailed to the cross, all of God’s wrath and anger that we deserved, was put completely on Jesus. There was nothing left for us. Jesus took our full punishment. As soon as Jesus’ physical body died, the Bible says the temple curtain was torn in two, from top to bottom. In God’s temple, man could not enter the Holy of Holies, which was God’s special dwelling place beyond the curtain. But now God, himself, destroyed it. God’s children were now welcomed into His presence. He longed for them. God had been planning and waiting for this moment since the first sin of Adam and Eve. He had been weaving together His plan to rescue His covenant children. And He would be victorious.
- How would you feel if you knew you could not enter the presence of God?
- How does it make you feel to know that God welcomes you into His presence?
- What are some things you can do to be open to God’s presence in your life?
- Thank God that He longs for us. Thank Him for rescuing us through His plan in Jesus.
- Praise Him by singing verses 1 and 4 of “Holy, Holy, Holy.”
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty! Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee; Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty! God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty! All Thy works shall praise Thy Name, in earth, and sky, and sea; Holy, holy, holy; merciful and mighty! God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!
Reginal Heber 1826