6.10.2013

On 12 Years of Marriage...


Catie,

We have officially completed twelve years of marriage.  Wow.  I never in a million dreams would have imagined us here.  If I had to describe what I thought our life would be at the end of year twelve it would be comfortable.  I imagined our kids going to a small private school, us involved with church activities and being able to play and rest when we please.  We would be in love and plan big vacations and how we can help our sons be the best athletes, musicians, and students that we could.

I think if that were our life, it would indeed be comfortable, but, for us, it would be like a living corpse.  We would be going through the motions without any conviction or real purpose.  Orphan care has become our purpose in God’s Kingdom.  We are more alive and our marriage is more alive than it has ever been.

I never thought that by suggesting we foster kids that it would have such an impact on us.  To me it was a means to an end. Adoption.  I had no visions of growing our family and being involved in so many different facets of this culture (children, birth families, DHR, etc.).  Our family is so big and different.  It’s an eclectic group of individuals, and I love them dearly.

I never planned on this being something that would change you so much.  You’ve become this beautiful picture of what it means to take God’s heart and make it tangible.  I can see Christ by your desires and actions.  I’m so in love what who you are becoming.

This past year saw some major things take place.  We said goodbye to Baby J, Big Sis, and Little Sis, and hello to Cinderella, Buster B, Peppermint Patty, and KBug.  We went from 6 to 7 in the house.  We were a part of girls’ mom saying goodbye to her son.  We deepened our relationship with J's grandmom.  We started caring for the Boy and the Girl, whom we love so much...and we survived baseball season.

Our life is insane and unpredictable, and sometimes I grow weary of the lack of comfort, but without a doubt I wouldn’t change it.  This is where we’re meant to minister, and I’m so thankful that I’m married to a dreamer who doesn’t want to settle.  You push me in areas to be more of a man of God and I’m thankful for it.  I’m more in love with you now because of our choice to foster than I would have been if my plans for comfort would have come to fruition.  I know this to be true.

I love you with all my heart.  Happy Anniversary.

Jamie....

Looking unto Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment