Hands down, they have the best Coca-Cola's around. Challenge me on that any day. I'm known there as the Coke Lady.
In fact, yesterday, now known as National Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day, may have been the first time this year I have not swung through the drive through or stood in line.
With the understanding that our Inverness location has been documented as the busiest one in the nation, you can only imagine what it looked like yesterday. Let's just say, I couldn't get out of my home, four miles away.
I've yet to post anything on the sensational event until this moment, but I've been mulling over the entire social media reaction to the events of the last week involving what has seemed to become a poster business for "a moral lifestyle", and I've boiled my response down to three points (ha, ha).
- On the issue of traditional views of marriage:
- I had a very wise RUF campus minister, who always challenged me that when the line was drawn in the sand, "Go and love from the inside." Meaning, when lines of battle are established, perhaps rather than boycotts or protests, we are to embody life to life ministry, and be Christ to those who are searching. Just as a hungry person cannot hear our words when their stomachs are growling, a hurting person cannot hear our stances and reasoning when their hearts are deeply aching.
- But...we (me most of all) are so quick to ladder sins and forget our own escapes. Just maybe, that's not the answer... According to CNN, the response to the overwhelming business, is a same-sex kiss day in Chick-Fil-A parking lots tomorrow, Friday. Yeah, yesterday showed them. And in reality we all know, the One who captured how to embody love most perfectly was Christ, Himself, whether it was dining with sinners, granting second chances to prideful men, or being in the presence of loose women.
- On freedom of speech:
- Forget the understanding that free speech is a significant venue that has allowed the definition of marriage to be propelled to the forefront of politics. The moment I became infuriated in this entire debate was when government individuals began defining themselves as having the power to determine whether a beneficial business to the community could be banned. Whose tax dollars are those?
- But... Where else in the world could government officials take a stance, and the rebuked population rebuttal with shutting down traffic across the land to eat chicken. Yes, freedom of speech was challenged, and that should not be allowed. Yet, in reality, a response was heard yesterday, and there was freedom to demonstrate that response. That's something we cannot take for granted.
- On the response:
- From what I have read, every response directly from Chick-fil-A, itself, has demonstrated humility and honor. I cannot say that for all its supporters. Stances such as those certain individuals who threatened our beloved chicken eatery took do demand a response, and it was heard loud and clear.
- But...homosexuality is only one important issue that is addressed in scripture. Thousands upon thousands of "moral, religous" individuals responded and gave up hours in order to respond in support. That is great, but there are other issues dear to the heart of the Father. The hard truth is I don't think I've ever seen thousands upon thousands of families waiting in line to care for the poor, the fatherless, the destitute, or the widow. It would be interesting to see how many people from our churches in the Bible Belt went out of their way to cheer for their beloved restaurant, and then to see how many have given and sacrificed in ways that are truly uncomfortable.
It would be easy to make individuals the enemy, as it always is. That is exactly what the True Enemy always wants us to believe.
I am a deep lover of Chick-Fil-A. I'm deeply grateful for freedom of speech and the right I have to it as a citizen of this nation. Yet, I have three little ones in my home whose rights are seldom heard or recognized. I have three children in my home who have few to defend their cause and show them support. I have three who have no voice - except to express that they want Chick-Fil-A for dinner tonight, so that's where we'll be.